We hope you’ve all been enjoying the snow we’ve had the last week! While we all love to go sledging and build a snowman, the snow and ice doesn’t create the best conditions for driving. With this in mind, here are our top five tips to keep you safe on the move this winter!
1. Firstly, before beginning any journey, make sure you check the weather forecast. During Winter months, the weather can be unpredictable and can change quickly. This can be vital information to know, especially if you are planning a long journey.
You can check for regular updates at the Met Office website - https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/
2. Always be prepared! It is beneficial to always keep an emergency kit in your car, just in case of a breakdown with time to wait for assistance. This kit could include warm clothes, food and water supplies and a blanket.
3. Leave plenty of time – make sure when you are leaving your house in the winter mornings, that you leave enough time to let your car properly de-ice. Driving with reduced visibility can be very dangerous, so make sure you don’t rush in the mornings!
4. Keep your car healthy! It is important to ensure that your car is working and serviced regularly so that you are positive in the knowledge that your car is working to the best that it can.
5. Take it slow when it snows – When snow hits, make sure that you take it slowly, keeping a safe distance between other vehicles and use lower gears when trying to pull away.
Happy Snowball fighting!